Tuesday, October 16, 2012

CRASH........ :_(

Let me start off by saying that sometimes technology can be the DEVIL.  Yes, I said devil.  Last week, Lauren and I started on our group project that consists of a 4-6 page report and a presentation.  We agreed that we would both compile research, that I would be in charge of typing the report, and Lauren would put together the actual slideshow presentation. We were doing great emailing back and forth for stuff we found that would make our project grand. As we worked on our project in class, Lauren told me the story of how her computer crashed and she lost everything on it-- reports, pictures, and homework for her other courses.  She told me she would finally be getting her computer back from being fixed and she was back to square one.  I told Lauren that her and I have the same bad luck when it comes to technology.  Her recent computer crash must have rubbed off on me...yesterday, I made some minor changes, saved our report, and headed to work.  When I got home last night, my plan was to print out our final report and read it aloud to myself to make any last minute changes.  However, my plans changed when my computer showed the dreaded "blue screen of death."  I didn't panic, I had been through something like this before.  I rebooted my system and went to get a glass of water while I waited for it to reboot.  The moment I saw the blue screen again, I knew it was hopeless. I had lost the whole report.  All of our research- quotes, pictures, websites, that were nicely typed and inserted into 5 pages-- GONE.  After crying for 30 minutes, I calmly woke up my husband and asked if he had touched the computer even though I know he doesn't touch computers (I just wanted someone to yell at). 
I kept thinking that Lauren is going to kill me and its my fault for not having a report typed.  I had to type another report......from my memory.  We had to have something.  I dried my eyes, grabbed my daughter's laptop and looked at the clock, it was 1 a.m.  It was going to be a long night and it was.  I have not yet gone to sleep and sadly, I was not able to finish typing or printing out our report. 
I find it ironic that mine and Lauren's project is on how technology can be useful tools for teachers.  Although computers and technology can be used to enhance lessons in school, there are flaws.  I will never, eveR, evER,eVER, EVER trust another computer again.

No comments:

Post a Comment